At a women’s retreat last year and at the end of one very powerful session, we were able to take part in communion if we felt led to do so. We had just finished an amazing time of praise and worship and the instructions were to go up and grab the cracker and juice at our leisure… take the communion when we were ready… and then we had a 3 hour break.
Well, I went up and grabbed the cracker and juice and went back to my seat to pray. As I looked down at that cracker, and had a profound thought.
The cracker was:
- burned around the edges…
- it was bumpy…
- had a few holes in it…
- one side was jagged…
- it was misshapen.
- It looked so undesirable.
I stared at it for a long time and then it hit me. At that moment… that cracker represented me! I asked God how He could stand someone like me…
- someone so bruised and beat up by life.
- I have bumps in all the wrong places.
- There are holes in my life…
- things taken away from me that I can never get back.
- I am nothing to look at… not desirable.
- The world had broken me and taken its toll on me.
- I’ve been abused…
- used up.
I started to cry. It was like looking in a mirror and the reality was hard to swallow. My eyes moved over to the grape juice which I was holding right next to the cracker. It was such a deep red.
I heard God say “Because of the blood of Christ, that cracker is the most precious and valuable thing in my eyes.” I said, “But the cracker is hard and jagged and if bent… it will break. How can it hold any value?”
Isn’t that who the world tells us we are everyday?
But then I heard God say, “Put both in your mouth at the same time… the juice and the cracker.” So, I did and guess what happened.
- I felt the cracker become soft.
- It no longer felt jagged and edgy.
- It was no longer easy to break.
- I imagined that the cracker took on the color of the juice and so the burned edges were no longer distinguishable.
And it made me realize that it is because of the blood of Christ, that I have great worth! I am no longer a victim of the world… but rather A CHILD OF GOD who has been MADE CLEAN THROUGH THE CROSS.
I just needed to share this story today. I have worth… and so do you.
Sisters… be who you are because it is good enough!!!!