Do you pray bold prayers?
Yes, some prayers are just more gutsy than others.
- God, will you use me in any way you see fit?
- Father, will you teach me to be a more patient mom?
- Lord, will you break my heart for what breaks yours?
These “stretching prayers” take courage to pray because we are essentially asking God to move us into uncomfortable places. But it’s in those uncomfortable places that God meets us and grows our faith.
I wonder, do you pray these audacious prayers… or avoid them at all cost?
For years, my prayers were cautious and comfortable. I was careful what I asked for because I didn’t want God to give me more than I could handle. I thought…
- what if I asked God to teach me forgiveness and He gave me the perfect opportunity to learn it through a friend’s unexpected betrayal?
- what if I asked God to grow my ministry and He took it in a direction I didn’t really want or expect to go?
- what if I asked God to help me become a better mom and then my kids started acting up and spiraling out of control?
So instead of praying deeper prayers, I avoided them altogether. In my opinion, it was just safer that way.
Now I boldly ask God to use me, change me, and challenge me.
You see, these days I like to pray those dangerous, gutsy prayers because I know my God. I know He has plans to prosper me and not to harm me (Jer. 29:11), and so I can trust Him.
And honestly, most of the time I really dig the wild ride. Other times, the ride is bumpy and hard but at the end I am so filled and rejuvenated because of it.
For me, the hardest part was just opening my lips and saying the words… “Use me.” You, too?
You see, my prayers used to be like this:
“Um, Lord. Okay… I will go where You want me to go. But I don’t want to move because I like my house and am sure I could do more work for You if I got a good night sleep in my bed. So, I’ll go… but I need to be home in time to pick up the kids and get them to their sports practices. After that… I’m Yours. But I am meeting friends for dinner, so I need to be free by 6:00ish… yadda, yadda, yadda.”
Get the picture?
You know you’re praying safe prayers if you hear a lot of “ifs” and “butts” in them. And sisters, if you pray this way… you’re living in numbing normality.
- Jesus didn’t come to make your life… safe.
- He didn’t die on the cross so your life would be… easy.
- Christ didn’t promise to make your life… predictable.
He came so we could live life to the fullest.
Are you doing that?
Friends, I want to challenge you to begin to pray bold prayers. Because when you do…
- God will take your ordinary life and make it extraordinary.
- He will take you into the deeper waters with Him.
- God will further reveal Himself in your life.
Why? Because He designed you for an eternal purpose. God knows what you have to offer and He wants to use your giftings, talents, and life experiences to further His Kingdom.
Pray bold! Pray dangerous!
Don’t believe the Enemy’s lies that say:
- Your life will be miserable.
- You’ll be living in a tent in the wilderness eating bugs!
- You will have to travel the country in a camper and home school. (Lord help me!)
- You won’t have friends and your marriage will end.
- God can’t use you!
Those. Are. Lies.
“Lord, I want to be available to You. Help me trust You more. Take my fear away and give me the ability to step up and be bold! Show me where You want me to be and what You want me to do. I am here and ready! Use me, Father!”
Welcome to the team.