I was driving through a canyon on my way up to my parents home in the mountains and noticed a sign on the side of the road that made me giggle. It read, “In case of flood, climb up to safety.”
Seriously? Doesn’t that concept seem a little… elementary?
Now I am not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I cannot imagine seeing raging flood waters begin to rise and decide the best course of action is to climb down into them. That would show great stupidity and mean certain death.
But you know what, I’ve done it a million times before. You, too?
I can think of times in my life where I’ve been faced with rising waters in my marriage, with my friends, because of my health, regarding my children, with finances. And rather than climbing above those raging waters… I stepped down into them, willingly.
- I became fearful
- I looked to others to save me
- I got mad at God and turned my back on Him
- I decided to do it my way
- I allowed anger to cloud my vision
- I bought into the lie that I deserved certain things
- I let my pride get the best of me
Believe me, I’ve been drenched by the life-threatening waters of life.
Sisters, when we find our lives flooded with hardships… when we watch as those waters threaten to take us under or sweep us away… we have a choice to make.
- We can follow those wise words and climb up to the safety of God’s protection, or
- We can tempt fate and try to navigate the swift waters alone
The truth is that both options require something from us – mentally and physically.
Climbing under stress is hard, especially when we feel those waters licking at our heels! We have to be careful where we place our hands and our feet, making sure they are firmly planted with each step. We have to keep our eyes on what’s in front of us and not allow the noise below to distract us.
We have to keep our eyes on God.
But many times we give up and allow the current to take us away from safety. We give up in the fight. We allow the weariness of the battle to beat us. Not only do we not trust in deliverance, we begin to doubt God can handle this specific problem.
We buy into the lie that going with the flow is easier.
I wonder what is causing the waters to rise in your life today?
- Did you discover a betrayal from your husband and your hurt is overwhelming?
- Are you running in a circle of friends who keep pulling you farther and farther away from God?
- Is there a childhood wound that continues to skew how you live your life?
- Are financial pressures weighing so heavily and you’re about too lose it all?
- Is the medical treatment not working and your last hope for healing is slipping away?
- Do your children take every bit of energy you have and you find yourself becoming resentful?
- Did that innocent interest turn into a full-blown addiction and you can’t find your way out?
You have a decision to make. Will you climb up to safety or step down into the dangerous current?
I hope to see you at the top.
Dear Father, thank You for always providing a way out for us through your Son Jesus. We appreciate that no matter where we find ourselves, You are there to help us and direct us and save us. What a gracious God You are! Father we are climbing up to You today with flood waters threatening to sweep us away, and we ask for You to give us safety. Lord, will You wrap your arms around us keeping us dry in the storm we’re facing right now? We need you. We love you. Thank You for Your promise of deliverance. Amen.