We were not created to go it alone.
While many do… it is not God’s design. We work best when we work together.
- We can encourage each other
- We can cover others in prayer
- We can help with physical needs (food, child care, bills, etc.)
- We can offer Godly advice and wisdom
- We can point them to God
Yep… we need each other.
During the Israelites’ battle against the Amalekites at Rephidim, Moses discovered the importance of his support system. Joshua and his army were fighting with all they had. While not in the actual battle, Moses played the most important role in assuring victory for the Israelites.
“As long as Moses held up his hands, the Israelites were winning, but whenever he lowered his hands, the Amalekites were winning.” Exodus 17:11
Have you ever tried to hold your hands up for any length of time? It is hard! Sure you can do it for a while, but then your arms become like 2 ton bricks. Your muscles start to burn and cramp. Your legs become weak, your back hurts, you begin to feel faint.
It’s a huge physical demand that our bodies are not used to.
Now add to that the pressure that if you give into your pain and lower your arms… your countrymen will lose the battle and probably end up dead. Moses was in a pickle.
He needed others to support him!
“When Moses’ hands grew tired, they took a stone and put it under him and he sat on it. Aaron and Hur held his hands up–one on one side, one on the other–so that his hands remained steady till sunset.” Exodus 17:12
These two knew how important it was that Moses kept his hands and arms raised… and they knew his limitations, too. So they stepped in a supported their friend.
Can you recall a time you had others hold your arms up when you were tired and weary in an all important battle?
- Maybe it was when you came home from the hospital with a new baby with special needs.
- Maybe your were surrounded by friends when you lost a loved one unexpectedly.
- Maybe when your marriage was failing, others came around you as prayer warriors.
- Maybe when you lost your job, bills were miraculously paid anonymously.
- Maybe it was when your friends took turns sitting with you during chemo treatments.
We need each other. And when others step in and support and love us when we need it most, we have the unique ability to overcome.
Because of Aaron and Hur’s help, Moses was able to keep his arms raised through the battle. Because they stood next to him and shared their strength with their friend… the battle was won.
“So Joshua overcame the Amalekite army with the sword.” Exodus 17:13
We need each other! Sometimes it’s the support of others that pushes us from defeat to victory.
Be the kind of friend you want for yourself. Be it. Live it. Do it. Want it.