There is a big change in the air!
Our kids are getting to the age where they are outgrowing the children’s menu at restaurants. They are older and hungrier and looking for something bigger and better.
While the food on the kid’s menu is still yummy, it’s just not enough to fill them up anymore. Not only do they want more, they need more.
I think they’re on to something.
You see, as we grow in our relationship with Christ we should stop reaching for that less-filling menu… and instead pick up and order from the menu that offers us “more.”
All too often, we get in the routine of ordering from the smaller menu. Why?
- We find the small portion size okay because it’s just enough to keep us going.
- The cost to us isn’t as great.
- It is tasty food that goes down easy.
- It’s safer because we know exactly what we’ll be getting.
- It is served on dishes that are fun and entertaining.
While this menu offers us good food to start with, eventually we should desire some richer, more complex flavors that satisfy our growing hunger.
Your hunger for more is growing, right?
It better be! The idea is that the more of Him we get… the more of Him we want. If we stay in the same place in our faith, we’ll become stagnant and stale, and so will our relationship with Jesus.
You see, our goal is oneness with Him.
We can’t reach that goal if all we do is order watered down tea and chicken nuggets. No. We need to order that 5-course meal of foods that are tangy, rich, meaty, sweet that fill us… but leave us wanting more.
I want more and more of Him! Do you?
Desiring Him is very intentional on my end because I know it’s a relationship. And a relationship takes two people. Since the Bible tells us He is always knocking, we have to be active in seeking that deeper relationship with Him. Here are some things I do to get it…
- I’m in the Bible everyday (well, almost).
- I’m learning to pray those deeper, more personal prayers rather than the shallow ones you just shoot up in the air hoping to reach a distant God.
- I go to a church that challenges me and stretches me out of my comfort zone.
- I’m in a small group of women who earnestly seek Him!
- I listen to Christian music (but still love my big hair bands of the 80’s).
- I surround myself with God-seeking friends who call me out on things when necessary.
- I ask Him for it.
Sisters, throw out your desire for kiddie food. If that is all you’re relying on to feed you, then you’re going to spiritually starve yourself.
In the Kingdom, there is so much good stuff to feast on. Don’t worry, He’s saving you a seat at His table.
See you there.