From the archives…
I heard this phrase the other day and it cracked me up.
But you know what, I think it’s pretty darn accurate! When it comes right down to it, we’re all pretty content living in “ItsAllAboutU-niverse.” Wouldn’t you agree?
When we reside there:
- We get easily offended because OUR pride is damaged
- We make choices based on what is “best for me”
- We get jealous when others have something we don’t
- We serve to get credit or be recognized
- We are always in crisis so others have to attend to our needs
- We strive to be the center of attention
… and the list goes on. I wonder what YOU would add to this list.
Here’s where we get into trouble. We’re told in God’s Word to be humble and serve others… and we can’t really do that if our mentality is that it’s all about… us.
Anyone still reading this? Have you deleted this post yet? Whew… ok. A few of you are still reading. Good… 🙂
Look, I’m not saying we shouldn’t have a healthy self-esteem. We need one! Too many of us actually think too little of ourselves… and then there are others who are pretty sure they’re all that AND a bag of chips.
We need to find the right balance, and the best way to find it is to know where our sense of worth comes from. Unless it comes from Jesus Christ alone, we’ll work way too hard to get it from the world. (been there, done that… sometimes still do)
And when we are so focused on meeting the world’s standard of value, worth and success, we spend way too much time working our tails off in “ItsAllAboutU-niverse”… trying to measure up and self-promote.
Friends, that isn’t God’s design.
Romans 12:3 says, “… Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you.“
This verse seems pretty clear to me.
Can I suggest that it may be time to get over our fine selves?
Yes, we may have been blessed with good looks, big wallets, serious skills and talents, smarts and the such… but we all burp after a good meal. Right?
So think about it. Are you living in “ItsAllAboutU-niverse?” If you’re not sure, consider these questions…
- Do you consider yourself better than others because of where you live… your career… your family… your education?
- Do you do things, wear things, say things, or act a certain way to get noticed?
- Do you envy those who have what you want and feel you deserve?
- Do you feel the need to defend yourself or have the last word?
- Do you serve only when it’s convenient for you and your schedule?
- Do you “name drop” to look more important?
If you answered “yes” to any of these… it looks like it might be time to relocate.
Lord, will You help me take my eyes and attention off of me and what I want and need… and instead find ways to genuinely care for others? I’m tired of being so self-concerned. It’s not Your plan for me. Please change my heart so that no bitterness or jealousy enter in when I see others succeed. Please give me the desire to serve Your children fully and joyously. Help me remember that it’s really… all about You! Amen.