It’s almost July… which means summer is in full swing! Are you having fun?
Honestly, there are some things I absolutely love about summer: Lazy days… slower mornings… vacations… pool time… late nights… fun with friends… and coffee (oh wait, that’s year-round).
I love hanging out with my husband and kids because they are FUN. It’s nice to have them around and do things together that we just don’t have time for during the school year. My family is far from perfect, but we really, honestly enjoy each other.
What a blessing.
Now I know my blog is usually all about what God is doing in my life, and challenging you to see what God is doing in yours. But I wanted to do a little something different today.
Can we shift gears?
I came up with a list of 5 things that drive me nuts about summer. Now, I’m not a cup-half-empty person. But in my pursuit to be real, I thought you might enjoy seeing some of the craziness my family has to live with.
So here are the 5 things I don’t like about summer:
1) Watermelon: I just don’t see any redeeming value. But everyone I know adores it, like it makes you a better American for eating it. So I eat it. Not only is it fairly tasteless, but I somehow get that tasteless juice all over me. And it’s sticky.
Oh, and I don’t even get a kick out of spitting seeds (although sometimes spitting things is fun… like Sonic ice chips through a straw at my kids to annoy them.) #Payback.
2) Heat: So it gets really hot in Colorado. Yes, I know. It’s dry heat. But 100 is 100 anyway you look at it. And being at least 5,000 feet in elevation, we are closer to the sun… the red-hot ball of fire that makes things boil and burn.
And when we add hot flashes to the mix, the July heat makes me want to carry a pitch fork and scream “Towanda!” Let’s just say… Momma likes her air conditioning.
3) Cottonwood Trees: While the cotton release offers a quick trip down memory lane of a few months ago when winter was in full swing and actual snow blanketed our yard… this fluffy whiteness brings with it sneezing, itchy eyes and headaches. Yuck, yuck, and yuck.
But since I am a silver lining kind of girl, I do see the one benefit it offers. As the cotton blows in the wind, it gets stuck in spider webs… the perfect warning of just where those nasty 8-legged critters are laying in wait for me. Because I know they are. Waiting. Watching.
4) Wasps: They love it here, and build nests everywhere they can on or by our house. And somehow, they find their way indoors. How can something that small strike such terror in someone a ka-billion times its size? My mom suggests that I at least act brave, but lying is a sin (convenient excuse) and so I chose to live the authentic life. Wasps freak my beak.
And when they end up in my living room, it does make me extra grateful for my cats. They take care of that problem real quick. Bugs inside are their territory, but give me a can of Raid and I become the wasp-hunter in the wild. #Impressive.
5) Sunscreen: I cannot stand the way it feels on my hands. My husband is convinced I have some whack-a-doo sensory issue that counseling might cure, but therapy for that issue will never make it into the budget. There are too many other ones more desperate for intervention.
But being the good mom that I am, I know it’s a vital part of summer fun. Sunburns are a one-way ticket to cranky town. So I make sure to lather my kids with it regardless of how it feels, cringing at every application. Why can’t they make it feel like the Body Shop’s Body Butter products? Just sayin’…
So there you have it – the top 5 things about summer that bother me.
What would YOU add to the list? Leave a comment and tell me. I’d love to know!
©2013 Carey Scott