We are so numbers-focused. Have you noticed? For some reason, we get wrapped up in numbers that we feel affect the quality of our lives and it tends to become an unhealthy obsession. It can be:
- a number on the scale
- a number indicating the size of our clothes
- a number representing our families income
- a number of subscribers to a devotional blog 😉
- a number of ________ (you fill in the blank)
We believe, that if these numbers are more or less than they should be, there is something wrong with us. We buy into that lie that says these things define us. That they are the deciding factors for the quality of our day or how we feel about ourselves.
The only number that should define us is the ONE who gave His life to free us from eternal damnation and separation from our Creator.
All of these other numbers that we are bound to on earth are all part of a ploy to get our eyes off of God and onto ourselves. It’s the Enemy’s way of keeping us in bondage… in slavery… and therefore distracted.
- How many of you allow your mood to be determined by your weight on the scale each morning?
- How many of you are ashamed of the size of your clothing so you feel ugly and undesirable?
- How many of you are jealous because you don’t have the money that others do, so you’re cranky about your inability to travel or buy the latest styles like other families can?
I guess the Enemy’s plan is working.
Look, we cannot compete with others. Why? Mainly because it’s not a competition. We cannot keep up with others either, because the bar will always be raised to a level just out of our reach.
So what do we do?
Think about the things of heaven, not the things of earth. (Colossians 3:2)
We’re citizens of heaven. All of “this” that surrounds us is temporary. And since we are just refugees here on earth, we will never be satisfied by what it offers us. Never.
So stop looking for approval and comfort here. Stop looking for acceptance here. Stop letting the world tell you if you are good or not.
The only number we need to worry about is… the One.