I pulled out my favorite duster jacket this weekend to wear to a speaking engagement.
It didn’t fit.
Rather than celebrate in the fact that I’d lost enough weight to make this fitted jacket look more like a house coat, I began to panic. I love this jacket. I wanted this jacket to fit so badly that I quickly considered regaining the weight so it would.
I’ve since abandoned that idea.
It’s just that I really, really, really like this jacket. Simply put, it’s da′ bomb. Well, it was anyway.
The truth is that I need to let it go because I’ve come to realize that we sometimes hold on to things in our lives that no longer “fit” us. It may be:
- a bad habit that provides comfort
- a relationship that drains the life from us
- a certain way of responding to that person
- a sinful pattern which sends us into a tailspin
- a way of life that no longer represents who we are
It just doesn’t work for us anymore. But… oh how we try to hold on to it. Why? Because it’s what we know. It feels good (although not for very long). Maybe we even feel like we don’t deserve any better.
But God has different plans. He wants more for us.
He says… “Instead, live like the Lord Jesus Christ did, and forget about satisfying the desires of your sinful nature.” Romans 13:14
What He is saying here is for us to close the door to what satisfies the flesh. Easier said than done, eh? Why?
- Because we really like that TV show
- And those books are entertaining
- Because we’d never really cross the line with that person
- And that website is just an innocent interest
- Because we really only partake in that when things get really stressful (which is often)
Who are we kidding? We know when we are satisfying the flesh and we know when we are living like Christ. We just need to make the right choice.
Well, I chose to not wear that jacket to the event. Yes, it was adorable and very stylish. It was a fantastic look and was well-made.
But… it just didn’t fit me anymore.
Yours doesn’t fit, either.