Praying scripture is a powerful tool.
Hebrews 4:12 says that God’s Word is alive and powerful, sharper than a two-edged sword. When we speak and pray the Scriptures, we are coming into agreement with God that it is indeed a powerful tool for a believer.
A benefit of praying scripture is that we will increase our spiritual growth because we learn what God says about certain situations. We’ll see how He wants us to act or trust. His Word will provide a road map on handling difficult people.
There are so many different things you can pray for!
- You can pray in adoration of God or for protection over your family.
- There are scriptures to pray for healing of an illness or restoration for a marriage.
- You can pray the Word over those who need Jesus and for others who need to return to Him.
- You can pray for a wayward child or answers for a difficult situation.
It’s all in there. How do you do it? Here are some suggestions:
- Pray the scripture out loud. By doing this, you are speaking God’s will into existence. Of course He will hear you if you pray silently, but hearing the Word helps your faith increase. Why? Because there is power in the spoken Word.
- Pray with someone who is seasoned. If you are new to this, consider praying with someone who you know prays the scripture. It will help you get the flow and sound of it and you will sense the anointing of it.
- Make it personal… Put “I” and “me” into it. Add you into the scripture. Personalize it like this, “May the Lord direct your hearts my heart to the love of God and to the steadfastness of Christ.” (2 Thessalonians 3:5)
- Insert someone elses name into the Scripture. Add “them” or “he” or “she” when praying for others. You can also just speak their name(s). Again… personalize it! “The LORD gives strength to His people daughter Jane; the LORD blesses His people her with peace.” (Psalm 29:11) 🙂
- Pray God’s Word back to Him. This will lead you into sincere worship. Speak these and feel your spirit connect…
- “Lord Most High, it is good to praise your name. I’ll shout about Your love this morning and Your faithfulness tonight! You, O Lord, are exalted forever. You are my Rock. You are holy and righteous!” (Psalm 92)
- “I praise You, Lord! All creation praises You, for You created everything. Your splendor is greater than anything on the earth or in heaven.” (Psalm 148)
Look, when you struggle to know what to pray for… or can’t find words… open your Bibles and pray God’s Word. Not sure where to look? Go online and search for scripture at biblegateway.com or google “scripture about______.”
Need a faith-builder? Keep a prayer journal so you can see what you prayed and when/how it was answered. Remember that God’s Word is powerful and alive.
Dig in… and speak out.