I made a rock pile in the mountains this weekend. Why? Because God performed a miracle in me.
- It wasn’t a visible miracle
- Maybe others didn’t even realize it happened
- There was no bolt of lightning or crack of thunder
But God blessed me! You see, He revealed something to me that I wasn’t fully aware of before, and it unlocked a greater understanding of why I do what I do… and why I am who I am.
So, I built a rock pile there as a memorial.
In Biblical times, this practice symbolized to others walking past the pile of rocks that a miracle had been performed – right there. How cool is that?
One example is found in Joshua 3 and 4. If you remember, the Israelites had to cross over the Jordan River before they could begin to conquer Canaan. The problem was that the river was at flood stage, a very dangerous time to try to cross.
But as they took that step of faith and obeyed God’s instructions, a miracle happened.
God stopped the furious flow of the waters… and dried the river bed… in an instant. The Israelites crossed over without getting their shoes muddy! Love, love, love that!
So how did the Israelites react? Once they made it safely to the other side, they built a memorial using 12 stones from the river bed.
- It didn’t take on any certain shape or form.
- The rocks didn’t need to fit nicely together.
- They didn’t have to be the same size or shape.
But it would serve as a powerful reminder to all who would pass by it that God performed a mighty miracle there. What an encouragement! Anyone who would walk past those stones would know God had done something so extra-ordinary. And for me, just knowing that He can and does… gives me so much hope.
Oh how I’d love to see your rock piles, because I know you have them! I do as well!
- I have a rock pile at the hospital where God erased my cancer.
- There is one in my home where God healed my marriage.
- I have several piles on different stages at churches in 3 states where God spoke through me to women.
Sisters, build those rock piles because we need to see God’s work! We need to see the places where God has performed miracles in your life!
- They encourage us to push forward.
- They give us hope for restoration.
- They remind us we serve a big God.
- They help put things in perspective.
- They show us the power of prayer.
Take the time to make a lasting memory of the things God has done. Believe me, at some point you’ll need the reminder…
… and so will we.