I am bone-dead tired.
I’m writing this devo after getting up to “Black Friday” at 1:15 a.m. My eyes are red. My body hurts. My breath stinks. I need to shower.
But… I had a great time with great friends. And got great deals, to boot.
Some of you already know that I am a “deal” girl. I refuse to pay full-price for anything. If there is a coupon to be found, I find it. If there is a chance for a discount, I ask for it.
I’m certainly not rude… I just want a deal.
Maybe your money tree is different, but ours doesn’t bloom anymore. So when it comes to our money, I’m pretty cautious about how I spend it, when I spend it, and if I spend it. To me, that’s just common sense.
But you know what I learned the hard way? I can’t be like that with my relationship with God. If I try to be thrifty with it… I’ll get the short end of the stick. Every time.
There is no short cut, deal, or discount when it comes to loving your Creator.
Oh believe me. I’ve tried before. There have been:
- Times I’ve cheated God with my time, my heart, my money.
- Times I moved Him to the bottom of my “to-do” list.
- Times I offered to make deals with Him in prayer.
- Times I discounted my time in the Word.
- Times I looked for ways to get more of Him with less from me.
And it didn’t serve me well. Why? Because it made my relationship with God… shallow. When I prayed, it all sounded the same. I fell into a routine of worship. My discipline waned. I wasn’t truly joyous. There was no fruit.
What did I learn? There is no quick and easy shortcut to God.
I understand why we look for one, though. We live in a microwave society where we want it all now. And you know what’s scary? We’re used to getting it.
But it’s not that way with God.
- We have to spend time daily in His Word.
- We must keep our prayers fresh.
- We have to be ready to go when He says go.
- We need to keep our hearts open to hearing Him speak to us.
- We must allow Him to make us better.
Are you looking for a shortcut to God? Don’t.
You have to put in the time. Trust me, God is well worth it. The dude totally rocks.