I love the idea of there being a real Santa Claus. Wouldn’t that be a hoot? He represents so many things that I wish were true, like:
- Someone caring enough to keep tabs on me all year-long.
- Someone allowing me to sit in their lap and share with them things I want.
- Seeing the lengths someone would go to, to give me gifts (hey, it’s a long flight from the North Pole and those chimneys are tricky).
- Someone being ok with their “extra fluff” around the middle and accepting me for my extra, too.
- Seeing someone treating misfits and animals with such kindness and love.
Yeah, that would be pretty amazing. You think so, too? Santa is never mean or hurtful. If we don’t get what we asked for, we trust there is a good reason. The twinkle-eyed man has a sweet disposition.
Wait. Are you thinking what I’m thinking? Yeah, I bet you are. We’re in luck, because there really is someone who fully encompasses all of those qualities, plus so much more than we could ever imagine or desire. You know who?
Jesus. Jesus. Jesus.
Why? Because He deeply loves us and always wants the best for us… and unlike Santa, He represents things that are true.
- He cared enough to die for us.
- All we have to do to be in His presence is call on His name.
- He has gifted us with so much.
- No matter what we look like, dress like, drive, think, say… He loves us for who we are.
- Kindness is in everything He does.
Look, we don’t need some mythical character to make us feel loved. No. We have a living God who is ready and willing to give us everything we need.
He’s the real deal. The things the world offers are not.
Come to think of it, I’m just fine without the man in the red suit because the red blood that my God spilled for me trumps him every time.