Yesterday we talked about us needing to look to God for our refuge and strength in hard times… and I mentioned one way to do that is to be in scripture and have Him meet you there.
His Word is the perfect strength-giving, life-breathing, path-defining tool.
Did you know that there is a perfect scripture for whatever you’re dealing with? Maybe you want to turn to the Bible for counsel, but have no idea where to find what you need. You’re not alone!
The book of Psalms is usually where I go because it expresses the heart and soul of humanity. It is full of an impressive range of emotions and life experiences that we can all relate to. David (who wrote 73 of them) and the other psalmists are honest about what they are feeling and because of that they show us what it’s like to have a powerful, life-changing friendship with God.
The writers confess their sins, express their doubts and fears, ask for God’s help and praise and worship Him. Regardless, they are honest in what they are feeling and sharing. I appreciate that!
Write these addresses down and look them up. Put in the work yourself (don’t always wait to be spoon-fed). 🙂 Discover for yourself what God has to say. Breathe in the honesty and realness of the Psalms.
When you feel:
- Sad… read Psalm 13
- Cheated… read Psalm 41
- Overwhelmed… read Psalm 69 and 142
- Unimportant… read Psalm 90 and 139
- Depressed… read Psalm 88 and 143
- Insecure… read Psalm 12 and 91
- Guilty… read Psalm 32 and 51
- Afraid… read Psalm 27 and 49
When you face:
- Criticism… read Psalm 35 and 56
- Death… read Psalm 6 and 71
- Slander/Insults… read Psalm 46 and 83
- Temptation… read Psalm 38 and 141
When you want:
- Answers… read Psalm 4 and 17
- Healing… read Psalm 6 and 41
- Joy… read Psalm 28 and 126
- Vindication… read Psalm 35 and 109
- Miracles… read Psalm 60 and 111
This is sampling of what this wonderful book offers. Dig in! Make your own list of Psalms that comfort or direct you. God’s Word is alive!