Before you read this… go grab your Bible. The one you use the most… I’ll wait.
Ok, got it?
Set it down in front of you. I want you to take some time to look at it. Let’s determine the state of your Bible. Consider these questions:
- What does the cover look like? Is it dusty? Does it look brand new? Is it tattered and worn?
- How is the binding holding up? Is it tearing at the seams? Has it come loose in places? Has some of the color rubbed off?
- In what condition are the pages inside? Are they earmarked, underlined and highlighted? Do you have scribbles and notes revealing God’s footprints in your life? Are some of them ripped from thumbing through quickly? Or are the pages just as they were in the store… pristine white and clean.
- What about the things you’ve placed between pages? Does your Bible offer hidden treasures of cards and sermon notes and bookmarks that represent something special to you? Or, are those “in-between” places barren?
We can tell a lot from the state of our Bibles, can’t we?
- For some… this exercise affirmed and encouraged you to see tangible evidence that you are in His Word regularly. (Be careful not to get prideful)
- For others… this Bible inventory was a wake up call.
I want to say this strongly and boldly, friends, so please hear me. God’s Word is alive, active and powerful! We need to be in the Bible every day because He speaks to us there. We find comfort, answers, direction, peace, guidance, examples, etc. through His divine words.
When you are not in your Bibles daily soaking in His truths… you are spiritually starving yourself.
Look, we are all created with a God-shaped hole in our spirit that can only be filled with Him (although we try so many others ways to fill it). And one way He fills us is through His Word!
Please… wear that Bible out! Feast on His words and experience the power that comes with it.
Why not start now?